Investor Visas

An investor who wishes to run a business in the U.S. can obtain visas or green cards. The available visas are L1, E1, and E2. You can also follow a different application method for a green card.

Green Cards

Investors fall into the 5th Preference Green Card category. If more than one million dollars is invested in the company and 10 U.S. workers are employed for a period of 2 years, you may obtain a Green Card. A complication of this process is that if your investment fails, you have to leave the country.

L-1 Visa

An L1 visa can only be used by those who already owned or worked for a company in another country. They must also have done so for 1 year out of the past 3 years. A person who holds an L1 visa can apply for a Green Card.

E Visas

People who apply for E category visas must come from a treaty country. This is a country which bears a treaty of friendship, commerce, and navigation, a bilateral investment treaty, or any other treaty the country has negotiated such as NAFTA.


An applicant for an E-1 visa is coming to the U.S. to carry on significant trade between the U.S. and their home country. Trade includes goods, services, monies, banking, insurance, tourism, transportation, and other services.


An applicant for an E-2 visa is for an investment-oriented enterprise. You must own at least half of your enterprise. Your money or personal assets must be placed at risk by your investment.

A law firm could assist you in your investor Visa applications.